Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Give Him Your Heart

“What can I give him, poor as I am? If I were a Shepherd, I would give a lamb. If I were a wise man, I would do my part. What can I give him? Give him my heart.” – In the Bleak Mid Winter

Verse four of this Christmas hymn came to mind this morning as I tried to imagine what to write. Certainly, it is not midwinter, in fact it is springtime. It is the beginning of the winter of COVID-19 in which I'm finding myself asking, “What can I give him?“

After 8 weeks of self quarantining and running church from my basement I have found it difficult to prepare for what comes next because we can only guess about that. What comes next? I've done my homework and listened to some of the best speculations out there. I have striven to lead my congregation’s leaders, and staff toward effective outreach, mission, and evangelism. All without a building.

If you've read anything I've posted here previously then you know I'm not all that broken up about losing a lot of excess building. However, it's a little hard to figure out how to maintain that building without the people who value it.. 

Since I have found more time to pray, I have frequently asked the Lord what He would have me do to secure the future of the building, grounds, and the body of people who worship there. In many ways it seems the Lord has been silent. So today I'm thinking, “What can I give him?” The answer is in there verse 4 of that hymn, “Give him my heart. “ 

As always, this blog is about leadership. Today's best leadership advice? Don't even be in charge of your heart. Don't be the leader of anything before you stand humbly, before your God and offer him yourself. Eventually, when it pleases Him to do so, God will direct your life. And you will continue to employee as His Shepherd. You will walk ahead of your flock toward secret pastures known only by the Lord of the flocks. There, you will rest while they feed and drink from the still waters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment