Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Decide Today

“And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” ~ Joshua 24:15


It seems altogether fitting to revisit this familiar verse as we close a tumultuous year and enter a new one that holds unknown tests and promises. Like Joshua and the people of God long ago, we are about to cross into new territory where frightening inhabitants and faith-rewarding miracles await. Before we embark, we must decide to devote our lives to God and turn our backs on the folly of the flesh. 


I remember when I first made that choice in earnest. I had fallen into frivolous and foolish habits that pleased the people I worked with. I quickly learned that it was pointless and fraught with the potential to slip into permanent consequences. By the grace of God, I was untethered to others in such a way that I could not swiftly end my dalliance with worldliness. When I married and starting raising children I felt a deep compulsion to return to my Father’s house and I saw Him running toward me as I went. I put myself through every kind of rigor so that I could be a strong witness to my family and I learned that self-care and self-discipline would make me a better husband and father, and servant to the LORD. It was not a short, easy journey. In fact, it has taken years. But, I have seen the fruit many times over as I co-labored with the Spirit.


In those early days of crossing over from the wilderness into the promised land, I did some things that helped my family and me remember who we are and where we are going. Like Joshua and the people of God, I raised my Ebenezer stones of remembrance. One day, I printed the words to the verse above on paper and then taped them to the window of my front door. I looked at it every day when I came home from work and entered my home. It served as notice to everyone who came to my threshold that we had made our choice and they ought to know it before they enter. 


As I was a professional salesman at the time, I subscribed to the motto that “It ain’t real if it ain’t in writing” so I wrote down what I was leaving behind and what I was working toward. I Wrote down past hurts, burdens of bitterness, and words of self-hatred that lingered in my mind. On one auspicious, but private occasion I took those written words to a place of prayer and worship and consigned them to flames as I asked the LORD to take the heartache away with the smoke, In time, I realized that God was faithful and those bitter herbs no longer held their flavor. 


Beloved of God, trust me when I say that my efforts would have been in vain without the Holy Spirit and a precious companion, my bride, who supported and encouraged me. I’ve found that God is more than faithful to those who will trust in His promises and leave behind their old lives. I have learned to be patient and to think of life in eternal terms. As a born-again Christian Believer, I have the entirety of timelessness to work out my salvation. Nevertheless, I know that life in this time and space is far richer and more meaningful when it is devoted to God and redeemed by Christ. My senses and my sensibilities are radically enhanced by the Spirit so that serving the LORD today is more rewarding than words can say. I pray that you will know the same and more as you begin this new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment