Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. ~ Ephesians 4:29

Last week at this time I wrote to you about the primacy of love in Christian living. I was not aware of the events unfolding in Washington D.C. as I was writing (1/6/21). Upon reflection, it seemed altogether appropriate that I wrote those words rooted in Scripture. Now, I am writing a week later without knowing what’s going to be in the headlines later today. I only know this, Citizens of Christ’s Kingdom are revolutionaries of a unique sort. They overcome evil with good; they have hope when others have despair; they defeat their adversaries with truth is love (There is only one adversary, really. It is Satan, who authors chaos, hatred, and violence.), and they use their mouths to build up and not to tear down. 

If you want to change the world, it must be done under the King’s authority and according to the King’s mandate. The King is Jesus Christ. “When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all.” (1 Corinthians 15:28) What Paul is saying here is that, when we subject our will to Christ, we open a channel through which God flows to the world we are moving through. Any act of self-will cuts off that flow. Do you want to revolutionize the world according to your will or according to the LORD’s will? When disagreeing turns into violence, the flesh and evil are served. 

Jesus said, “By myself, I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.” (John 5:30) Even Jesus was subjecting his will. His Word, his deeds, and his thought were so perfectly in tune with God the Father that his human flesh was a conduit for the Father. Therefore, his words and deeds were just and loving. Christian Believers must strive for balance as they exercise both grace and discipline as human connections with God. If churches, religious organizations, and individuals act according to the flesh they are not serving the LORD. Please join me in praying that Christ will be King in churches, and wherever people declare themselves to be Christians. 


No comments:

Post a Comment