Wednesday, December 8, 2021

If You Love Me, Feed My Sheep

"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

~ Ephesians 1:17-19

    I had the privilege of sharing my heart for ministry in the LORD’s name with a precious Christian sibling recently. I heard myself saying familiar words to me and seeing fresh significance in the eyes of another - Love for the LORD and His sheep is the taproot of my calling (John21:17). The conversation arose as a compassionate response to my recent expressions of burnout. I’ve regained my footing after sliding down the hill somewhat and I am again plodding my way up the slope of the institutional church in the 2020s. 

    Another Christian sibling recently responded to comments overheard between two pastors by saying, “I’m gonna stop this pity party by changing the subject.” It seems there are always people in a pastor’s world who just don’t understand the scope and stresses associated with the calling. Most are supportive in their own way, but many succumb to their assumptions about the role and its various duties. Believe it or not, there are lifelong church attenders who believe their pastor only works a few hours a week on Sunday morning. Others form conclusions about the character and personality of their pastor based on how well he/she aligns with their assumptions and cares for their peculiar wants and needs. 

        I wonder what you’re thinking about the previous paragraphs. Is this another “pity party”? Or do you feel sorry for pastors, even me? If so, then I have news for you. Your pastor is not feeling sorry for himself and doesn’ desire pity. Rather, he values understanding and appreciation because pastors are not service providers in the same way as your doctors, druggists, store, restaurant, and theater managers. While the pastor is charged with ordering worship and directing the temporal and spiritual life of the church, he/she is not a hired hand or overpaid & under-worked executive. 

     An authentic calling from the LORD compels the pastor to sacrifice and serve in the Spirit of Christ. The call is a burden to the pastor’s spouse and children, but it is not their shared calling. In fact, if you want to tempt the pastor toward sin, just try putting unrealistic expectations on his/her precious loved ones. Few things weigh more heavily upon the pastor’s heart than the suffering of their family because of his/her calling. 

     I fear I have touched some nerves by now and some readers will not read on. If so, it’s a pity because the truth, direct from Scripture, is forthcoming. First, know this: It is a statistical fact that clergy are quitting in larger numbers these days than ever before. There is a significant upswing in departures among younger clergy. Christian ministry in a post-Christian society is hard enough, let alone during a pandemic and all its consequences. Although the motives vary from pastor to pastor, it all boils down to questions like, “Is it worth it?” 

    The Spirit-driven pastor suffers and perseveres because of the truth in the passage from Ephesians above. When Christ the Lord invites a pastor to shepherd a portion of His sacred flock, an incomparable love drives him or her. The pastor's interaction with the flock and its members, no matter how difficult or blessed, is an act of love - love for the Lord’s sheep and, above all, love for Christ who said, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." (John 10:11) The pastor must honor his/her Master’s devotion with obedient courage to speak and serve with truth in love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment