Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The Power of Suggestion

But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. ~  John 1:12


I have a small decorative plate hanging on a wall in my office that was a gift from my mother when I was a young teenager. She’d found it at a yard sale and bought it for me. An image of Daniel the prophet sitting in front of a lion fills the middle and the words “Daniel the Courageous” arches up from the bottom like a smile. It’s been in every bedroom I’ve occupied and then every office I used as a pastor. The plate reminds me of some very significant aspects of my life. First, my mom saw that plate and wanted to give it to me. Did she buy it so you could say, “Be courageous, Daniel”? Or was it because she saw courage in me and the plate reminded her of it? I’ve asked her about it and she just says, “It just made me think of you and I wanted to give it to you.” For a boy trying to figure out who he is, there are no more important influences than his parents. So, what happens when a father expresses love poorly and it seems entirely conditional because of mania? Maybe a sympathetic mother counters with ridiculously unconditional love. 

“Daniel the Courageous” became my secret identity after Mom whispered it in my ear. She may not have known the power of her deed, but she’s seen many expressions of it over the years. I won’t list them because one does not speak of such things without the risk of pride. The most courageous moments in life are very private as anxiety and strain sucks inwardly. Bold, public fearlessness does not define courage, but the opposite, risk without trepidation often slides into stupidity. A decision to go against fear marks each courageous moment. Even after reason reduces fearful things to calculated risks, there is an inevitable leap of faith. Mom saw courage in me way back then, and her faith in me breathed greater life into it. She nurtured seeds of leadership and perseverance that still serve me today. Thanks, Mom. I love you. 

Trusting the LORD takes courage that starts with a leap of faith. You will think it through as far as possible for a calculated risk and then you must step into the unknown. Is the LORD real? Will the LORD speak? What if the LORD changes me? Can I live with the change? The only way to know is to bravely press on toward the uncertainties. Need a little help? 

You may not know the LORD, but He knows you. The LORD has a secret name for you that reveals who you really are in His eyes. Embracing that identity releases you from all others and frees you to become all the God created you to be. It will take courage to move into your new life in Him, and as you do, fear will tempt you to think the LORD’s love is conditional and His moods will swing unpredictably like a maniac’s. Trust the LORD with all your heart and don’t lean on your own understanding. His love is constant and His faith in you is greater than your faith in yourself. Ask the LORD to reveal your special quality to you. What will the plate on your wall say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment