Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Speak to the Heart

“Let it be the hidden person of the heart . . . a gentle and quiet spirit.” ~ 1 PETER 3:4, NKJV

      

                I’ve finished reading Frank Viola’s latest book, “48 Laws of Spiritual Power: Uncommon Wisdom for Greater Ministry Impact” and am now going through it again with my highlighter. Like his previous release, “Hang On, Let Go: What to Do When Your Dreams Are Shattered and Life Is Falling Apart,” 48 Laws is an easy-to-read book of hard truths. Don’t be dismayed when I say “hard truths” because the most loving thing anyone can say to another is a truth that transforms. Hang On, Let Go often reminds readers that our perceptions of self, circumstances, and God must change so that healing and hope can flourish. Likewise, 48 Laws was written with grace from the Holy Spirit so that Christian leadership will flourish. 

               I have a passion for reframing the role of leadership in Christian communities, especially local churches, because I’ve seen the suffering and ultimate irrelevance that results from chaos in congregations. My list of practical-tactical observations could fill a short book that might be useful to a newly minted pastor or other spiritual leader, but I’d recommend 48 Laws as the primer, and, as I have realized lately, the revitalizing agent for veteran leaders. My first piece of advice, were I to write a book on leadership, would be to work on self-leadership above all else. Here’s a book that will help tremendously. It’s not only for leaders of organizations; it’s for anyone who will endeavor to lead others, even children, spouses, and teams.

When I started writing this, my goal was to share a learning from Frank’s book that rests prominently in my recollection of it. By now, I know, I know, it’s reading like a book review. Well, I’m your friend and pastor, and I just want to help you. When I read a good book, I’ll tell you about it — and that’s kind of what I’m driving toward right now. Several points have convicted me deeply in Frank’s 48 Laws book. Ironically, the weightiest is the realization that I like to inspire, inform, and encourage Christ’s beloved flock, but, How effectively do I present His loveliness and majesty?  


Frank’s Law 43 is, “Speak to the Heart.” He says this about that, “The human spirit is the deepest part of us. The Bible calls it ‘the lamp of the LORD’ (Proverbs 20:27). It’s the dwelling place of God’s Spirit.” (Viola, Frank. 48 Laws of Spiritual Power: Uncommon Wisdom for Greater Ministry Impact (p. 200). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition.) https://frankviola.org/48laws/


I feel sure that Shiloh must grow by being disciples and seeking disciples for Jesus. Everyone who’s listening knows this because I talk about it so much, but what if I’m not telling people about why some of us just can’t help but follow him? Frank has reminded me that the deeper well from which we are trying to drink is the indwelling Spirit of Christ. It seems likely that it will start with a few of us in worship, classes, bands, and private devotions. The love of Christ will be so clear and compelling as to be irresistible. I really don’t know what that will look like in our context, but our LORD is gentle. He will not generate oppression and chaos — Let that sink in. He is the author of cosmic order, joy, and hope.     


As we move forward in being vital to the community through Christian discipleship, let us welcome fresh expressions of Christ in our midst. Let’s open the shutters of our souls so that His light will shine from us. We should not desire to grow the congregation around buildings, programs, society, or secularized religion. Let’s grow the congregation of Christian Believers whose souls reflect Christ’s irresistible love and majesty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment