Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Where Are You Going?

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. ~ Acts 20:24 ESV

            The Apostle Paul reminds us that, whatever our circumstances, we must resolve to finish the course the Lord has set for us. What is your course? When you think about how life has changed because of COVID-19 have you seen your priorities change?

           We often hear and say, “when this is over . . .” Yet, we know in our hearts that, in many ways, this will never be over. As we navigate our course toward happiness and security there will be new disruptions along the way. And, eventually, we will die and leave behind everything we worked so hard to attain. If this truth is not yet evident to you, it will be sooner or later.

           So what course is Paul referring to above? Is your course like this? Most of us will say, “No. He was called to be an apostle. I’m not called to that.” However, you are called to be disciples of Jesus Christ. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” (Matthew 28:19) Jesus commanded the apostles to make disciples. If their message has reached your heart, then you are Christ’s disciple.

          Your course then must be discipleship under Jesus Christ, your Savior, and King – the Holy Spirit – your Counselor and Teacher. How does this course align with your course toward happiness and security in life? Do you think your life’s course can merge with the disciple’s path? What if your sense of security and happiness in this life on earth was shaped by your sense of security and happiness in Heaven for all eternity?

          COVID-19 has reshaped my priorities as your pastor. My vision and mission are still the same, but our point of origin has shifted so that course adjustments are necessary. Therefore, some long-range goals have become more immediate while others are now less so. As I anticipate returning to in person worship and study, I am convinced that the highest priority for my flock is that everyone should be journeying on a clearly marked discipleship pathway. Furthermore, I am sure that accountability along the way is essential. Therefore, I will be introducing the Shiloh Discipleship Pathway over the summer months. It will be a driving force for “being disciples” as a member of God’s family at Shiloh.

          Beloved, the Lord has set a course for your life that never ends. It only transitions from this life to the next. I began the day you became a disciple of Jesus Christ. It was never meant to be a membership certificate or card, but a new way of life. The local church exists to equip and sustain you and yours on the way home to Christ. When you come back to “church” at Shiloh will you be ready for a deeper commitment to Christ and richer daily life in the Spirit? I pray it will be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment