Friday, November 20, 2020

Feeling God's Pleasure

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9

I started my workday with three sources of grief weighing me down. The biggest one came late in the day before and troubled my sleep; the second came as I sleepily stepped upon the bathroom scale, and the third came when I read an email message that disappointed me. Grief is an emotion that is typically associated with death. It’s a natural response to a loss that seems irreversible. With that being said, grief is then far more common in daily life than we may realize. In this year of fluid change, it is almost impossible to hold on to anything with certainty. The upside is that most people are adapting and learning about what is most important to them. The downside is that even those things can be changed or taken away. Therefore, a sort of grief-refinement process has occurred. Things that used to be important are easier to let go of, but things that are defined as significant are much harder to release. 
My griefs this morning arose from my passion for keeping the Church family connected and in love with God and one another; my desire to stay healthy so I can serve those whom I love, and my need for personal, deep spiritual mentoring from outside my local service. This morning, COVID-19 and its various consequences are re-emerging as a threat to my passionate pastoral sense of purpose. This morning I am struggling with decisions and striving to be a light of hope, even when I am discouraged. This morning, I am reminded that my mind often lies to me about stress, but my body is always direct and refuses to be ignored. Thus, weight gain, muscle and joint pain, and general weariness serve as my signals and signs. This morning I am aware that a rich experience with someone I look up to came and went and there will not likely be any more meaningful interaction. 
My sense of duty and responsibility, combined with a deep love that can only come from the Spirit of the LORD, compelled me to open the word processor and write this weekly devotional. The same instincts will drive me to finalize sermon study notes, a written sermon brief, and to provide leadership and encouragement for coworkers, lay leaders, and others. It will drive me when I am leading Bible study tonight, and in any other ways that I am called to serve the LORD. When I am doing these things it will be hard for most participants to know how I feel deep inside. Not because I am putting on a brave face or being insincere, but because I am filled with life and vigor when I am serving my Master. I receive joy when I am poured out for Him. 
Beloved, I do not write these things in order to attain your sympathy - far from it! I am opening myself for the LORD’s sake so that you can hear His heart and mind. My hope is that my vulnerability might serve Christ as a means of grace to you. Please hear Him more than me. Is the Spirit reminding you that grief is a natural part of daily life in a fallen world? Are you reminded that duty and purpose are natural instincts that come from God? Have you considered the probability that your life in Christ is best understood in what causes you grief? If you can relate to my story, then think about what you can do that brings the joy of the LORD. 
Last week I wrote about my German Shepherd, Bella. We play in the backyard together almost every day. I call her favorite game, “buzzing the tower.” She takes off running at full speed across the yard and then makes a wide arch and returns to zoom within inches of my legs. Watching her run gives me such pleasure! It reminds me of what Eric Liddell, the early 20th Century Olympic runner, and Christian missionary said, “God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure.” Watching Bella’s beautiful gate and remarkable speed is so pleasing, especially when she flies effortlessly over sticks and stepping stones, momentarily airborne like a wingless eagle.
What if, when we rise through our despair, motivated by duty, honor, loyalty, and love, it gives our Master the same kind of pleasure? What if, rising from bed, going to to the work that feeds and meets needs; going to the work that contributes to a plethora of interrelated agencies that meet the needs of countless persons and fuel economies . . . what if, that pleases God? Again, it depends upon what causes you grief. If you are compelled by Christ’s command to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul and to love your neighbor as yourself, then you can feel God’s pleasure when you run the race set before you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment